Monday, May 06, 2013

Special Exhibition of Kano Sanraku and Sansetsu

I went to see "Kano Sanraku (1559-1635) and Kano Sansetsu (1590-1651)" exhibition at Kyoto National Museum.   

Established in the 15th century, the Kano School is one of Japan's most famous institutions of Japanese painting.

Kyoto National Museum brings together a retrospective of the works of two masters.  It is the museum's first major exhibition of Kano School works since 2010 and features newly discovered art pieces, as well as works that are brought back to Japan for the first time from overseas collections.

The contents of the exhibition are so wonderful and breathtaking!!! The artists' skillful techniques are overwhelming and I deeply felt the energy of their concentration on every single line.

As I started late at 4:30PM, I wasn't able to see all of the artworks by the closing time of 6PM.

Since it had stopped raining when I came out of the Museum, I took a walk around the museum.  Rodin's "The Thinker" in the courtyard is surrounded by azaleas in full bloom,

I am going to come back once again to see the exhibition, from opening time to closing time!! 
Kyoto National Museum: 075-525-2473
9:30AM - 6PM (Friday till 8PM)
Closed Monday
Admission: 1,400 yen

No comments: