Friday, February 22, 2013

Sushi Iwa

I was blessed with the opportunity to have dinner at Sushi Iwa, near Higashi Honganji Temple this winter.  It's very conveniently located, about a 10 minute walk away from Kyoto Station. 

I also learned that Steve Jobs said "This is the best sushi I've ever had!" when he visited Sushi Iwa.  The owner speaks English and the restaurant is visited by many foreign tourists. 

The appetizer, scallop sashimi with tomato and basil sauce was really tasty.

Next is sashimi plate.  The pink slices on the right are bonito.  I've never had bonito sashimi as delicious as this one.  I was amazed!!

Soup of a snapping turtle.

The taste of winter -- a snow crab.  And beautiful presentation.

Kabura-mushi (steamed grated turnip) made us very, very silent because it was too delicious.  The best kabura-mushi ever!!

Finally the sushi plate.  All of them were mouthwatering!

Dessert was warabi-mochi, a jelly-like bracken starch dumpling.  Texture and sweetness were sooo perfect, and I have to say "best ever" again!!

No comments: