Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Byodoin and Ujikami Shrine of Uji City

I visited Byodoin and Ujikami Shrine to pray for a success of my art exhibition from the 20th. Unfortunately, the Phoenix Hall of Byodoin was under construction from last month. 

This is a photograph I took before the construction.

 The construction is scheduled to be completed at the end of March, 2014.

Through scaffolding, I was able to peek the rooftop phoenix, and it made me happy.

Even a telephone booth in front of Uji Station has phoenixes on the roof.

Ujikami Shrine is located on the other side of Uji River.

Green tea soft ice cream to cool me down first, before visiting Ujikami Shrine. Yum!

And relaxing scenery.

Ujikami Shrine is also World Heritage.

I liked the Shrine's purifying basin with a lovely rabbit!

Good luck charm "Omikuji" is a rabbit, too.  Sooo cute!

In the precinct of the shrine, there are two large sand cones called "Tatesuna," where god is believed to descend upon.

Although Ujikami Shrine is not very big, it is a great place to visit and learn about the ancient Japanese shrine architecture.

I received a greeting from this beautiful praying mantis after I finished praying!!

2 comments:

Japan-Australia said...

That is a shame about Byodoin. I was hoping to visit in 2013. Might have to wait until 2014 now. Thanks for the heads up!

Kyoto Machiya Inn said...

Hi Japan-Australia,
I was a bit disappointed to see the construction, but it sure takes a lot of time and effort, to restore and protect national treasures. I am also looking forward to visiting when the construction is over, after March 2014!